Posts Tagged ‘Domino Records’
New York/Vancouver indie dance act Bob Moses is a duo: Tom Howie and Jimmy Vallance. Although they went to the same high school in hometown Vancouver, back then they didn’t really hang out together. After graduating, they both separately went to New York to start a music career. New York is a tough place to make it and both of them struggled. Then one day, Howie and Vallance accidentally ran into each other and decided to work on music together. Bob Moses was born!
I chatted with a very tired but friendly Tom and Jimmy in a swank Vancouver hotel Business Centre while the guys waited for their hotel rooms to be ready. (I think they were ready for a pre-show nap.)
Which member of Bob Moses walked out of an orgy? Which Bob Moses track samples an obscure bangra song? What dark secrets do Jimmy and Tom know about each other that not even their girlfriends know? Who showed Bob Moses the Bobby Bland track they eventually covered? What metal bands are the two of them banging their heads to in the studio (when they need a break from electronic music)? How did Tom and Jimmy react when VICE said they sounded like “a tranqued Chris Martin” (from Coldplay)? Why do Jimmy and Tom sometimes hate on rapper G-Eazy? You’ll have to listen to find out!
Tracks played on the show…
1) Bob Moses, Days Gone By (2015) “Tearing Me Up”
2) Bob Moses, Days Gone By (2015) “Talk”
3) Bob Moses, First to Cry EP (2014) “I Ain’t Gonna Be the First to Cry” (Bobby Bland cover) **
4) Bob Moses, Days Gone By: Never Enough Edition (2016) “Before I Fall” (acoustic version) (mp3)
5) Bob Moses, Days Gone By (2015) “Touch and Go”
All songs CANCON, except **
You can also check out the radio edit of the show, if you need all your hang sessions to clock in under 30 minutes.
Dan Deacon is an American composer and electronic musician. Deacon is well-known for his live shows, where audience participation and interaction makes Dan Deacon shows a memorable experience. You should see him live. It’s different every time. (BTW Dan is back in Vancouver Tuesday, December 15th at The Cobalt. See you there!)
I hung out with Dan in what turned out to be a very busy alley. We chatted about (in no particular order) rediscovering what makes him love music, new types of regret, why he never answers my emails, and finding the guts to make the record that he’s always wanted to make. He is always a pleasure to talk to. Listen to the interview for all this and more!
Tracks played on the show…
1) Dan Deacon, Gliss Riffer (Domino, 2015) “Feel the Lightning” (mp3)
2) Dan Deacon, Spiderman of the Rings (Wildfire Wildfire, 2007) “The Crystal Cat”
3) Dan Deacon, Gliss Riffer (Domino, 2015) “Learning to Relax” (mp3)
4) Dan Deacon, Bromst (Carpark Records, 2009) “Surprise Stefani”
NO songs CANCON