I hung out with post-punk band Merchandise in the parking lot behind Vancouver Main Street landmark Red Cat Records. It was a windy fall day so we took refuge at a staircase behind the store. The band singer Carson Cox did most of the talking as his bandmates shivered in the cold.
What is Carson Cox‘s favorite show tune? Why is DJing better than being in a band? What kind of trouble did the band run into at the border? Why are punk classics spiritual? Which song will Carson play when he wants to clear a room while DJing? Does Carson keep an actual list of his enemies? Listen to our chat for all the answers and more.
Tracks played on this show…
1) Merchandise, After the End (2014) “Enemy”
2) Dicky Doo & the Don’ts “Nee Nee Na Na Na Na Nu” single (1958) (background)
3) Merchandise, After the End (2014) “Telephone”
4) Chicago Jazz Orchestra with Cyrille Aimée, Burstin’ Out (2013) “Cheek to Cheek” (background)
5) Merchandise, Children of Desire (2012) “Time” (mp3)
6) Merchandise, After the End (2014) “Green Lady” (mp3)
NO songs CANCON
You can also listen to the uncensored version of our hang sesh.